Saturday, January 12, 2008

Daisy's Rock n Roll dog T-Shirt

Daisy loves Led Zeppelin! Just like her Mommy.... She was jealous of my orange Zepp T-shirt, so I made a custom Led Zeppelin dog T-shirt for her. It's different from my vintage shirt, but I like hers better I think! Got sparkles!

'We' (ok just me actually) recently got into the Led Zeppelin 'mood' after dreaming about how we might be able to manage to get ourselves a seat at their one time reunion concert last month (Dec 10th) in London at the at the O2 Arena. They played a one time show in memorial for their recently passed away friend, Ahmet Ertegun,
with Jason Bonham drumming in place of his father. But alas, a dream was all it was. We are anxiously waiting to hear if Led Zeppelin will play some other shows in the future for us sorry losers who couldn't see the show in London. Over 13 million people entered their names on the website for the lottery for tickets to the London show (initially crashing the website!), but there were only 20,000 seats available.

You can make a custom rock and roll dog T-shirt for your dog too (or any other theme you like)! You will need one plain dog T-shirt to start with. We used orange for Daisy's Zeppelin shirt since the Zeppelin logo I was going to use was coming from a shirt that was also orange.

Next, you need a patch or use a cutting from an old T-shirt with the logo or wording or picture you want to put onto the dog's T-shirt. I cut the words/logo "Led Zeppelin" from a T-shirt of mine, as mentioned above. Of course the T-shirt I cut it from is no longer usable by me, so keep in mind you are sacrificing one T-shirt for the dog T-shirt if you are going to cut a logo or picture instead of using a patch.

This is really all you will need, sewing the patch or cutting onto the plain dog T-shirt (after determining where you like to place it on the T-shirt it). Sew first one straight stitch on top of the patch/cutting all the way around (about 0.5 cm or 1/4 inch in from the edge) attaching securely to the dog T-shirt. Then go back and sew a zig-zag stitch along the entire edge of the patch or cutting so that it won't roll up along the edge after washing (this is especially important when using a cutting from a T-shirt).

Being the over-doer that I am, I was not content to stop here, I wanted something more. Originally I thought to use some silver studs for that rock and roll look but then remembered I had some even more interesting crystal studs in my sewing basket and got those out. I think plain silver studs would be good for a boy dog and the crystals are pretty for a girl, like my Miss Daisy!

If you are going to decorate with studs or rhinestones, after sewing on the logo, lay the shirt out flat and plan out where you want to place the decorations before starting to attach them one by one. I didn't measure, just eyeballed it and it turned out fine.

We may be making more T-shirts in the future!

Click on the pictures to enlarge to see detailing closer.

Rear view of the finished shirt.

Decided to bring some crystal studs around on the front too.

Miss Daisy Ipo in another pose in her new shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment